November 6, 2013

Fighting Pattern Fatigue Turtle Trot Projects - Please VOTE!

As you are all aware, I have been following a number of Stitch A Longs this year. This is in part because I was trying to broaden my education, expand my online stitching circle, and get some much needed closure on my works. I also made a commitment to myself to not spend any money on any NEW patterns after Feb 2013, and so far I was able to keep to that rule. Who knows how it will go in 2014?

I started out with 15 not so massive and very massive projects on the Turtle Trot, and as of November 1, I have 4 finishes. 4/15 not so bad for 9 months work. Keep in mind I had a few catastrophes this year that prevented me from stitching. Add to that, some forays in other SALs, and a couple of on the spot, up to the minute, projects that came in during the last nine months ending on October 13. I have three months to work through the remaining 9, which I will diligently do, but I am already thinking toward the 2014 SALs and what I would like to pick for those 15 projects.

This leads me to the topic at hand: Pattern Fatigue.

I am one of those people who get pattern fatigue easily, therefore I end up with tons and tons of UFOs/WIPs. I get thread fatigue and want to stop working on that 9th page of brown teddy bears for example. I also have a tendency to buy patterns that are pretty but I hate the colours used in them, so they take much longer for me to finish. In this year's selections, I had a project in mind for a family member who is no longer a family member, and I am at 6s and 7s whether or not to finish it. I am going to fight through my pattern fatigue, and instead of picking 15 whole new projects from my WIPs, I am going to continue with these patterns with which I am so fatigued. If you see my fatigue, you might think to yourself, then put them away for 2014. Well here's the problem with that, some I have already put off for so long they have had several birthdays unfinished in my stash.  Examples of fatigue:

  • I have one pattern in this group that is for a new pillowcase for me, for my bed, with my initial on it, and I still can't bring myself to do it. (2010)
  • There is another that has a tremendous amount of white/9 pages of teddy bears/backstitching (2007)
  • The one I am not sure if I should put the energy into it because of the family (2009)
  • the pattern so detailed I have to frog every mistake because its mirrored (2007)
  • the one that is 3 feet by 3 feet and I am just downright intimidated by (2011)
  • the pumpkin for my buddy - I don't know why I am procrastinating this one, I think its because I have a hard time looking at orange, but I have got a twist for it...(2011)
  • for the other three my excuses are sad and more pathetic that those listed above, and I just need to pull up my socks... (2007, 2011 (for my newborn daughter who is now 2), and 2011 respectively

I have decided in the spirit of fortitude, patience, discipline, and attainment I will carry forward any of the 15 that are left over. This leaves me with a MINIMUM of 4 patterns I must pull out of the ole WIP file which you can find on the TAB on this blog entitled "UFO Projects (40 Photos)".

I would ask my followers to VOTE, by comment which of the following WIPS I should choose for my four open slots. In the interest of fairness, I chose varying degrees of difficulty. Here are the 7 top contenders:

Scarlet Ribbands

Clifftop Poppies

Italian Heart


Wedding Rings 
Triple Heart


Beatrix Potter's House


Tulip Trio



5 comments:

Justine said...

Wow, these are all ambitious projects! If I were you I would choose the 4 easiest or quickest so you will get a sense of achievement from some smaller finishes. My personal favourite is the wedding rings one but they are all lovely. Sorry...that's probably not what you were looking for!

Emma/Itzy said...

Hmm, you have two heart patterns in there so I would say one of those, two flower patterns, so one of those too...I also like the first one and the Beatrix potter x

Unknown said...

I appreciate both of your input, I think those are great ideas! Any more? I found yet another heart pattern over the weekend believe it or not...

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

I love making lists!! And then not sticking to them LOL.
My four choices are based on what I would stitch myself, so it's Scarlet Ribbands, Triple Heart, Italian Heart and Wedding Rings.
The others don't "speak" to me in the same way as these designs do.
Whenever I do a vote everyone chooses different things so it's usually no help at all LOL.

MyMoggy.com said...

Poppies and Tulips..
The others are fads that one can easily tire of looking at. The flowers will be pleasing to the eye until well into old age.