November 26, 2013

S.A.B.L.E. - Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy




Before I start, let me say this is a happy subject!  But let us face facts: would we want more stash than we can stitch? Do we want to leave a legacy of unopened projects for our kids to sell at half price or find homes for after we are gone? In these continuing uncertain economic times, we have to be thoughtful with our money. This led me to think that I should be realistic about my stash. Conspicuous consumption with our stash is counterproductive at Christmas time. (Like my alliteration?)

Life Expectancy for females in the developed world is about 77.1 years of age on average. The majority of cross stitchers are female, so I am basing my math on the female stat. Sorry guys! As someone who has a detail driven day job, and a cross stitch addiction, I have just recently come across this term "SABLE". Stash Acquire Beyond Life Expectancy. A month ago, for the first time in my life, I just realized life is too short to stitch something you don't really like...

Let's say for argument's sake, I am 39. Let's say for mathematical sake, that I admit to aging past 39 going forward. And let's say, for argument's sake, I have done a rough calculation that says in my current stash, I have approximately 2630 hours of stitching to finish. Let's also say, that one can reasonably stitch 10 hours/week. So with my current stash, I will be stitching for the next 263 weeks.  Which, by that reasoning, I have roughly 5.1 years of stitching already in my possession.

5 years seems a long time to go without acquiring any new patterns!!!! YIKES! Say it isn't so!

And because we all like to count, let's say that statistically I have 77.1-39.6 years to stitch= 37.5 stitching years left. Give or take sewing, frogging, designing, injury, debilitation, holidays, failing eyesight, I have roughly a total of 1950 weeks of stitching left in my life. Roughly 19,500 hours of available stitching. 1950-263=1687 weeks worth of stitching would be how much more stash I could acquire from now on. If I were to spend any of that doing something I don't absolutely love, or would have some value about in the end, well, it would be a waste of my inevitably limited and valuable stitching time. Oh no! Say it isn't so!

I did my annual stash review, and I currently own, have, or intend to, stitch 64 projects. All of which are in one form or another are listed/pictured on this blog.  I unloaded a few projects last week, but I think I still have to make some hard decisions. 64 doesn't seem like a lot, but compared to most of my stitching colleagues, but this doesn't count my Stitch by Rachel Pinterest board "Patterns I will Stitch Someday" here. At least it gives me a way to consciously decide what to have in my stash without coming out like a hoarder....and a reason to update my blog!

Let's truly enjoy our hobby and love what we do. Let's be thankful for all we have, and spend our Christmas budgets on the people who matter the most.

6 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

Well if that's the case I'm in really BIG trouble. I only have 13 years of stitching time left...eeek. Never mind the stitching I want to do there is also all of my fabric stash. But, I'd rather consider the fact that women in my family live to their mid 80's and beyond. My mum was 90 when she passed away and was sewing right up to a few days before she died. I hope to keep up the tradition:)

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Very interesting! All of my grandparents lived to be 83 or 84 and my Great Nana was nearly 100 so I figure I've got a few more years in me LOL.
My actual stash of bought charts isn't too bad, it's the magazines and downloaded freebies that push me into SABLE!

Cindy from Artists for Hire said...

People thought I was being...weird....for making a stitching bucket list a couple years ago. And that was before I got life threateningly sick. My family history doesn't seem to go very long for the women either. So while I am "young", I may have 15 years. Anything more will be a surprise. And I have more crafts than just XS. I've been unloading or not buying, a lot. Not like I have many to pass it on to. Most of us have wayyy too much stash.

Unknown said...

I actually got a comment about being too depressing on facebook, so from now on I will keep it light! I'm so sorry to depress people... Cindy from Artists for Hire, I too faced a severe illness, and I appreciate every day of my life, even though I expect to live well into my 80s, or longer - there are two women in my direct lineage who have almost reached 100 - you just never know... its time to be grateful and not just hoard for the sake of hoarding.

andrea said...

I have just discovered your blog and found this post interesting. In your calculations you forgot something. As the years go by the available daily stitching time increases. I am in my early 50's. Five children, youngest 21. Even though four still live at home they are more or less independent of my care. My stitching time has increased drastically. I have about 10 hours a day of "me " time so I can stitch for many more hours per week than I did when I was younger. My stash isn't going to be enough to keep me going for the next 40 years (the women in our family live to a very old age). Take hope, you can acquire more stash if you want.

andrea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.